Tuesday, February 15, 2011

There's Something About That Name

A friend of mine posted on her FB page the other day part of an old hymn that says, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, there's just something about that name."  If you are familiar with that hymn, you probably sang the lyrics just now as you read it.  That's what happened to me the other day.  I began singing it and found myself singing it all day.  There's just something about His name.  Jesus!  My Lord and Savior.  My first love. 

Everyday I am reminded of God's promises and love for me as I spend time with Him and as I read His Word.  It's like getting a love letter and it's new and fresh everytime I read it.  That's what makes me smile when I hear the sound of His name. Jesus!  Just to know He loves me and lavishes His love on me every single day is all I need.  1 John 3:1 says, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!"  There never has and never will be a love greater than that of His love for us.  I get excited when I think about that.  I want to share the rest of that hymn with you and I want you to think about your relationship with Jesus as you read or sing these words. 

          Jesus, Jesus, Jesus; there's just something about that name!  Master, Savior, Jesus,
          like the fragrance after the rain.  Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, let all heaven and earth proclaim:
          Kings and kingdoms will all pass away, but there's just something about that name!

What does Jesus mean to you?  Just mentioning His name, does it make you smile from the inside out?  As I think about Jesus' name, I wonder how His Father in Heaven felt when He heard the angel tell Joseph that he and Mary would have a son and they were to name him "Jesus."  To hear his Sons name be spoken into this world.  The joy that He must have felt at that moment.  The one whose name means "the Lord saves."  The one whom He sent to save the world.  There is great significance in his name.  The joy Mary and Joseph must have felt the moment their baby was born and they had the privilege of introducing Jesus to the world knowing the significance of who He was.  Most of us when we were born were named because of a popular name at the time, some were born with a name that has been carried down through the family for generations.  Some people are born with names that lend a special twist, like "Candy Christmas," or Wendy Summers."  I can remember when Terry and I were tyring to pick out names for our girls, we went through the entire Baby Name Book trying to pick that perfect name.  The name that felt right and would empower them to do great things.  But there has never been a greater name with more significance born into this world than the name of Jesus! 

As children of God we have something incredible to look forward to.  You see, before we were born or even formed in our mothers womb, God knew us.  The same God who formed the universe, placed every star into existance, knows every hair on our head.  One day when He comes to take His bride home, on that glorious day as we bow before our precious King, He will give us a new name.  Revelation 2:17 says, "To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna.  I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it."  I can't wait til that day comes and my Savior gives me a name that He picked out especially for me and is waiting to give me.  Yes, that name will have significance.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.  He is the heartbeat of who I am.  He is my Comforter in time of need.  He is my Peace in time of war.  He is my Redeemer in my sinful life.  He is my Friend when I need someone to talk to.  He is my Rock when I need to lean on someone.  He is my Lord and Savior!  Who is He to you? 

His Humble Servant,

Angie Burkeen
Club 180 Ministry
503 Main Street
Cumberland,  KY  40823
http://www.club180ministry.com/

3 comments:

  1. Heck yes! That was great! Gave me chills. There IS just something about that name. Good words. Very poetic! (: Love you!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful piece! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And one day, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess the name of Jesus. Jesus... Lover of my soul ... Jesus. You are gifted, Angie. So thankful and blessed to call you sister.

    ReplyDelete