Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My Joy Journey

Happy New Year!  Today is the first day of a brand new year that will be filled with many firsts.  Don't you just love the beginning of something new?  There are so many examples of firsts in our lives.  New year, new relationships, the birth of a baby, the first time that special someone says "I love you!"  I could go on and on.  Each has it's own special meaning.

Today marks a special day for me.  Not only is it a new year, but today begins a journey.  For these 365 days I will be sharing Joy through stories of real life experiences and giving biblical perspectives from God's word as well.

 I know, I know!  I overuse the word and some of you are probably tired of hearing it from me.  But joy is so much more than just a simple adjective or adverb describing how one feels.  I love the definition that Kay Warren gives in her book I Choose Joy, Because Happiness is not Enough, "Joy is the settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life, the quiet confidence that ultimately everything is going to be all right, and the determined choice to praise God in all things." 

Joy is a choice.  Joy is also a matter of the heart.  To have true joy in your life, you must first be in right relationship with Christ.  Joy is not something we create.  It only comes through a total surrender of our life to God so He can fill us to overflowing with His joy and peace.  Romans 15:13 says, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

Throughout this year, I hope to share with you what I feel true joy really is.  I also want to invite you to come along on this journey with me. This blog is not about me.  It's about the love of God permeating the lives of His people.  It's about seeing God move in our lives creating in us that true joy.

Each of us experience tests, trials and triumphs.  They come in the form of disappointments, heartaches, victories, love and loss.  If there is breath in our lungs, we have and will continue to experience these things.  Paul tells us in Romans 5:2-5, "And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." 

I invite you to share your story of how the Lord has given joy to your life.  Maybe through an experience or circumstance God's joy has given you peace that surpasses all understanding or maybe someone you know has exuded that kind of joy and it touched your life in a special way.  Email me your stories of Joy at: aburkeen@windstream.net  or Facebook message me, or simply mail your story to P.O. Box 561, Cumberland, KY  40823 and I will try and share your story on this blog.

Yes, joy is much more than a little word!  My prayer is that through the words and testimony shared, others will seek and find true joy through the only source - Jesus Christ!

Much Joy,

Angie Burkeen

No comments:

Post a Comment